- 250ml pomegranate juice
- 1 whole chicken (1300g)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250ml low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- Heat pomegranate juice in a small saucepan over medium heat until reduced to 60 ml. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, let the chicken come to room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 225C-450F.
- Brush chicken with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Tie legs and transfer to a large ovenproof frying pan.
- Roast chicken, turning once, reduce oven temperature to 200C-400F.
- Brush the chicken all over with the remaining pomegranate mixture, and continue to roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into a thigh without touching bone reaches 165 degrees, until golden and cooked through, about 50 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish and brush with reduced pomegranate juice. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Deglaze frying pan over medium heat with stock, scraping up brown bits with a wooden spoon.
- Cook until reduced by half.
- Add thyme and pomegranate seeds.
- Serve with chicken and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.